Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lumaca

After our day of rain I encountered this cute lumaca or snail. I was later told that this is the type that is good to eat. I have always thought escargot to be a delicacy.

After huge rainfalls in Italy I have occasionally seen older farmers walking around with their pails collecting snails. Even though lately they have not been found in abundance as once before, many people still collect and eat them as a tradition.

One has to have vast knowledge in their preparation, some of the contents of their stomachs can be toxic to humans. Therefore it takes days to properly prepare them for a meal.

Snail shells have been found throughout archeology to have been eaten since prehistoric times. The Romans considered escargot as an elite food.

They are low in fat and high in protein. But, I think I will pass, I like my image of the cute lumaca!




Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.

3 comments:

  1. I have never eaten that. Doesn't even sound good to me! LOL


    Thanks for posting on my Blog Blast thread :-)

    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also pass!
    Better in the garden not in the stomac! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute. I wouldn't eat him, either.

    ReplyDelete